Wednesday 22 June 2011

I exist in the midst of life which wills to live....

I've been wanting to blog for a very long time - but have had so many interests and so many things to say that I haven't focused enough to make a statement that I felt captured the experiences I value most in life.  Recently, I returned to veganism.  It's been over 10 years since I last decided that I couldn't live on junk food vegetarian fare.  Since making this change about 6 months ago, I've experienced something that I didn't expect.  Firstly, I didn't expect the change to be so drastically simple.  More importantly, I didn't expect that I would find such peace in knowing that I was significantly limiting the negative impact I had on other 'earthlings' that we share our common home with.  There have been numerous people who've helped affect this new outlook.  Lately I've been very inspired by Colleen Patrick Goudreau of Compassionate Cooks.  She really has brought to life for me the reasons why a plant based diet makes so much sense - a lot of common sense.
 
When people have a cause, a reason for doing something, it becomes like an addiction.  I hope to share the things I discover that have made, and do make  my journey easier.  I also hope to share the things that enrage me and drive me to spreading more inspiration to the people who are waiting to be enlightened to a better way of living.

Albert Schweitzer, a German philosopher, believed in something he called the idea of  "Reverence for Life".  I He stated in his work"Civilization and Ethics" that "I am life which wills to live, and I exist in the midst of life which wills to live".  I also find inspiration in this quote by Schweitzer "The thinking person must oppose all cruel customs no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo.  When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury to the life of another."  I hope that through this blog, I can shed some influence to those who haven't yet made this connection.

If you are interested in learning a bit more about Albert Schweitzer, click here.  


I'm trying to focus on 3 main themes in my blog as they relate to living a low impact life. Click here to read my post on what this blog is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment